Originally Answered: Ideas of healthy foods you can get at the grocery store, please?
Here is a list of healthy food ideas :)
- If you can go for organic, natural foods
~ Greek yogurt or yogurt (nonfat) - Greek yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt
~ Eggs, cheese, cottage cheese (2% is fine), goat cheese, skim milk or goat milk, etc.
~ Fruit & Berries
~ Beans (chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans, mixed beans, etc.) - full of fiber and protein :)
~ Veggie burgers (Amy's makes great veggie burgers)
~ Whole grain breads: multigrain bread, ezekiel bread, rye bread, whole wheat pitas, whole grain tortillas or bagels, etc.
~ Whole grain pasta or brown rice pasta, brown/wild rice, quinoa, buckwheat, etc.
~ Sweet potatoes or potatoes
~ Oatmeal - great source of fiber, you can add toppings like: almond butter or peanut butter, nuts, fresh berries/fruit, raisins, dried fruit like cherries/cranberries/blueberries, cinnamon, skim milk or non-dairy milk, nonfat greek yogurt, jam, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, etc.
~ Healthy cereals (Kashi, Nature's Path Organic, etc..high in fiber like raisin bran)
~ Nuts, seeds, almond butter, peanut butter
~ Non-dairy milks like soy, almond or rice milk
~ Ground flax seed to add into a smoothie, top yogurt, etc.
~ Olive oil, good healthy fat, great for stir frys with lots of veggies.
~ Salmon & Tuna
~ Tofu & Tempeh - are great in sandwiches, wraps, on salads, etc.
~ Whole grain crackers
~ Whole grain waffles or pancakes
~ Dark chocolate - in small amounts :)
Healthy alternative ideas =)
- Replace fast food french fries with homemade sweet potato or regular fries (made with a touch of olive oil, salt)
- For chips, you could try natural sweet potato chips, pita chips, fat free popcorn, pop chips or a natural potato chip brand like Kettle. You can also make your own chips by thinly slicing potatoes or sweet potatoes, glazing with olive oil, sprinkling with salt (pepper, basil if you'd like - cinnamon goes well with sweet potatoes) & baking them.
- Replace candy with things like frozen grapes or banana slices, dried mango strips, dried blueberries/cranberries/cherries/papaya, raisins, etc.
- Try a veggie burger on a whole wheat bun, topped with some things you like.
- If you want soda, try cold sparkling water with lemon or mixed with 100 % organic fruit juice instead
- Replace white pasta with whole grain in pasta dishes + add veggies (for example adding baby spinach to pasta, grilled vegetables to lasagna, broccoli/grated carrot/spinach/kale to pasta salad, etc.
- For a creamy pasta sauce try tomato sauce with goat cheese mixed in, for a healthier dish
- Enjoy pizza, try it on thin multigrain crust topped with fresh veggies.
- For healthier treat options try things like: frozen yogurt, vanilla greek yogurt with berries & grated dark chocolate, etc. Desserts are fine in moderation :)
* Sweet potato fries
* Black bean burgers
* Pasta salad with grilled vegetables & mozzarella
* Grilled vegetable pizza
* Grilled vegetable & goat cheese pitas
* Mediterranean crunch salad
* Wilted kale with cherries
* Whole wheat pancakes with pears
* Light banana bread
Website with great recipes, meal/snack ideas, nutrition information:
I hope this helps :)