Originally Answered: What are some great, healthy dinner/appetizer recipes?
~~Lasagna Rolls (Appetizer makes 6 servings, 2 rolls each)~~
12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
3 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
3. Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.
4. Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 354 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrate; 21 g protein; 8 g fiber; 374 mg sodium.
Nutrition bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Iron (15% dv).
~~Orange Glazed Pork Chops~~
4 (3/4 inch thick) pork chops
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 c. orange juice
2 tbsp. orange marmalade
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar
Sprinkle pork chops lightly with salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat oil in a heavy skillet; brown chops on both sides. Combine remaining ingredients, mixing well; pour over pork chops. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40 to 45 minutes. 4 servings.
~~Pecan Crusted Chicken~~ (4 Servings)
1 cup pecans. toasted
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 teaspoon dried basil
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
1/4 cup honey mustard
Preheat the oven to 400°. Using a food processor, grind the pecans into fine crumbs. Transfer to a wide, shallow bowl and stir in the bread crumbs and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Rub each chicken breast with honey mustard, then coat with the pecan mixture. Place on a nonstick baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake until the juices run clear, 15 to 20 minutes.
~~Chicken Breast With Baked Garlic Recipe~~
Chicken breasts - 4 to 6 (whole)
Garlic - 1 to 2 bulbs (or 10 to 15 cloves)...or garlic powder
Salt and pepper
Low fat butter
Slice an opening in the middle of the chicken breast. Do not cut all the way through.
Peel the garlic and cut into slices. Take these slices and stuff them into the slit you cut in the chicken breast.
Lightly coat the top of the chicken breast with butter. Then sprinkle on salt and pepper. Leave at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350C, then bake for about 30 to 45 minutes, and serve.
~~MEAT MARINARA SAUCE~~
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3/4 cup fresh chopped onion , chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers, chopped
30 ounces whole-canned unsalted tomatoes, 2-15 ounce cans
30 ounces no-salt tomato sauce , 2-15 ounce cans
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
1) Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic powder, and green pepper to oil. Cover and heat 2 minutes, stirring occassionally.
2) Mash tomatoes into small pieces and stir into tomato sauce.
3) Add spices and tomato mixture to sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
4) Brown beef or turkey in skillet. Place in a colander or strainer.
5) Bring a tea kettle full or 3 quart sauce pan of water to a rapid boil. Place colander over a large bowl and pour boiling water over the meat to remove excess grease.
6) Add meat to tomato sauce mixture and continue to simmer another 20 minutes on medium heat.
7) Remove bay leaves and serve over pasta or rice.
~~DESSERT DIP (ok not exactly healthy but its delicious!)~~
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
1 jar (7 oz.) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
MIX ingredients until blended.
SERVE with assorted cookies or cut-up fresh fruit.
Other healthy Recipes are provided in the links below