How can I gain weight?
Topic: How can I gain weight?
October 20, 2019 / By Anscom Question:
I am a 50 year old male, in great shape, no health problems, 6' and weigh about 165lbs and have been at that weight for as long as I can remember, but I would like to gain 10-20lbs. Any suggestions on what to eat or how to go about it?
Best Answers: How can I gain weight?
Tracey | 2 days ago
i. Eat more calories
This involves some calculation. The approximate normal daily caloric requirement for an average male who performs light activity is 2,200; for a female, it is 1,900.You need to eat around 1,000 extra calories per day to gain less than half a kilo a week.
Do the math. Eat larger portions and eat at least five meals a day.
Your actual caloric requirement can differ depending on your height, weight, activity level and your body's metabolic rate.
ii. Make smart choices
For example, choose dairy products, Eat foods with high protein content such as beans, pulses and peas, and foods with high starch content such as potatoes, rice and tapioca.
One hour spinning = perfect body
iii. Protein is important
Increase your protein intake. Your body needs a lot of protein to build new muscle. But since most of the calories for weight gain comes from carbohydrates and fats, do not replace them with protein.
iv. Snack a lot
Consume a lot of high-calorie snacks (not junk food) such as cheese sticks, milk shakes, muffins, dried fruits, yoghurt and breakfast bars.
healthy Ayurvedic mantras
v. Fluids help too
Drink a lot of fluids that supply nutrients and calories; milk, fresh fruit juices and energy drinks are good examples.
vi. Intensify workouts
Aerobics are great, right? Not for weight gain!
You need to exercise really hard and intensely to gain muscle mass.
Is walking better than running?
vii. Weights are the way to go
Focus on free weight exercises (which do not require machinery) that target your large muscle groups. For example, you need dumbells, not fancy gym machines.
Free weights put the most stress on muscles and stimulate the maximum number of muscle fibres.
The best weight training exercises for building muscle mass are free weight exercises like squats, dead lifts, bench presses, barbell rows, pull ups and bar dips.
These exercises are best done under supervision, but they don't need machinery.
viii. Space out your workouts
If you have a high basic metabolic rate -- which means you expend a lot of energy even at rest -- you need short intense workouts instead of long periods of low-stress activity.
Are carbs bad for you?
Creatine supplements can help some athletes gain weight. It is not known if it is because it gives them spurts of energy or because it adds water weight.
More research is needed in this area before Creatine becomes that magic pill. Creatine supplements are available at all major health food stores, but do not take it without consulting your doctor.
x. Be consistent
It might take a long time, usually a few months, for the weight to actually show. Some people get frustrated and quit when they fail to see drastic results.
Your body will only responds to a consistent schedule. No weight gain programme will work for you if you are not regular.
Heredity does pay a major role in determining your weight. Effective weight training and a smart diet can help you exceed your genetically predetermined weight.
👍 232 | 👎 2
Did you like the answer? How can I gain weight?
Share with your friends
Originally Answered: How can I gain more weight? I lost a lot of weight and need to gain a good 20lbs to be up to "healthy weight"?
follow these guidelines to gain healthy weight
- Eat nutritious foods that are high in calories. Examples are whole-grain breads, vegetables such as avocados and potatoes, kidney beans, lean red meat, poultry and fish.
- Increase the caloric value of your meals. Add powdered milk to casseroles for added calories, add avocados and olives to sandwiches, add wheat germ to your cereal, add chopped meat to your pasta sauce, and so on.
- Avoid skipping meals. Knowing how to gain weight involves consistent eating. Eat three meals a day and at least two snacks.
- Increase your normal portion size. Take a second scoop of pasta, or add two bananas to your oatmeal.
- Choose higher-calorie foods when given a choice. For example, corn is higher in calories than green beans.
- Relax - excessive fidgeting and restlessness can burn up a lot of calories.
-Add weight lifting to your exercise program. It helps build muscle mass.
- Balance your caloric intake with the number of calories you're burning. You need to be taking in more than you use up, and you may need to ease up a little on your exercise program.
I would reccomend nutritional protein supplements.
Ensure Protein is by far my favourite. Consume it 2-3 time's dailey for weight-gain. Make sure to do some weight training aswell thoe.
What are the perk's of ensure protein?
- Doesn't cause bloating
- Non- filling
- Tastes great
- Comes in a variaty of tasty flavours
- High in protein
- Contains 26 nutrients
Consume before or after working out. And another 2 times dailey as snacks.
Ensure is sold in packages of 6 or more 235mL to go bottle's.
Tastes best chilled.
You can also try making you're own protein shakes
- 2 tbsp/ scoops of protein powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 banana
- 3 ice cubes
Blend. And voila.
Also try these higher dense food's:
- Complex carbs; pasta, crossionts, bagels
- Nuts/ peanutbutter
- Whole milks and yoghurts (whole - 2%. Nothing under.)
- Cheese's; cream cheese, cottage, old chedder, feta, etc...
- Dried fruits- over fresh ;Ex. raisins, crandberries, prunes, etc...
- Cream based sauses/ soups over broth/ herb/ tomatoe based; Ex. Alfredo or Cream of -.
- Granola cearel
- Lean meats (turkey, chicken, beef, ham, etc...)
- Black olives
- Protein bars; Odwalla, Luna, Clif (Love these!)
- Nutritonal supplements; Boost protein/ plus, Ensure Protein/ Plus.
- Dessert based foods
- Fast food's. (as they say a calorie is a calorie. You can eat 1000 calories worth of carrots and it will do the same as eatting 1000 calories worth of burgers.)
Hope i'v helped.
I'v listed a few helpful products that I loved on weight-gain.
👍 100 | 👎 -7
If you wan't to attain weight, and construct muscle. You do not wan't to only over consume with junk meals. This will definitely makeyou fatter, and bad. But in the event you wan't to attain muscle you're going to need to drink a few top protein drink's, shakes, meals. Peanut Butter & Jelly I suppose could be a well begin. The Peanut Butter will furnish you with Protein, even as the Jelly has lot's of High Fructose, and Sugars, to aid positioned of the load. You would possibly wan't to investigate out a few low-priced CVS Pharmacy over-the-counter forms of normal herb capsules to aid aid the muscle groups. I are not able to suppose of any names of those forms, however I do understand they exist, I've heard of men and women taking them, and had well outcome whilst taken more commonly.
👍 99 | 👎 -16
Calculate your BMR, eat 500 calories above it while lifting weights and make sure its all healthy food.
👍 98 | 👎 -25
Originally Answered: Does birth control make you gain weight or is it the increase in appetite that makes you gain?
Some women gain weight due to increased appetite, others just gain weight because they gain weight. The pill works by increasing levels of hormones to mimic pregnancy, so side effects from the pill are often similar to those of pregnancy (weight gain, moodiness, headache, sore breasts, etc). Not all women gain weight from taking bc pills. For those who do, diet and exercise don't really control the weight gain. You really won't know how your body will respond until you take it.