1832 Shares

Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos?

Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos? Topic: Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos?
April 19, 2019 / By Alden
Question: As im watching videos of recipes, all the chefs use salt from a bowl and pinch it out. How come they don't use a shaker?
Best Answer

Best Answers: Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos?

Sydnie Sydnie | 10 days ago
We do that because most recipes say a 'pinch' of salt.After you have been in the business for some time you can tell the amount you need without measuring it.Some pedantic chefs (who are barely cooks) on TV use grinders to add salt & pepper.
👍 228 | 👎 10
Did you like the answer? Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos? Share with your friends
Sydnie Originally Answered: Low Carb and No Salt Recipe NEEDED?
Try going to the Healthy Heart Market website(http://www.healthyheartmarket.com) This entire site is dedicated to low and no sodium food products, recipes, and information. Their Newsletters Section contains tons of recipes...

Rebeccanne Rebeccanne
It is more accurate to use it that way then to shake out the amount. Shakers have different sized holes and getting the right amount would be more difficult. Yeah I guess they could measure with a measuring device but they don't.
👍 90 | 👎 1

Merritt Merritt
fruits grow on trees, shrubbery and mostly above earth and vegies grow in the earth (mostly) and are root plants ie peas, potatoes, raddishes etc are beginnings
👍 81 | 👎 -8

Letha Letha
Chefs use different types of salt, depending on what they want. There's the iodized salt, kosher salt, and sea salt.
👍 72 | 👎 -17

Letha Originally Answered: Authoritative answer needed. Is Sea Salt truly more healthful than conventional salt?
What we call salt is sodium chloride (NaCl). Sea salt is obtained by evaporating sea water, and it may contain traces of ions like magnesium and potassium, in addition to the sodium and chloride ions which the main constituents. Once I was housesitting for some people and they had sea salt in their pantry that had a pretty long list of trace minerals. If I remember correctly it was 99% sodium chloride and the other 1% was made up of five to ten other minerals. Most other table salt is obtained from halite minerals found on land. It is usually fortified with iodide which is necessary for proper thyroid function, and in some countries (but not in the US) it is not uncommon to find added fluoride, for strong teeth. Potassium chloride (KCl) is a completely different entity which is sometimes used as a salt substitute for people concerned about consuming excess sodium. Sea salt is not potassium chloride. Sea salt, rock salt, Kosher salt and table salt are essentially chemically identical and behave the same way in the body. Sodium chloride is highly soluble in water and does not clump together in the body. It dissolves readily in tap water, saliva, gastric juice and inside of our cells. Salt does not clump together and accumulate in the body. Any negative health effects attributed to salt are due to its sodium content, which is the same no matter where the salt comes from, because table salt, by definition, is sodium chloride. In theory, it is possible that you might gain some benefit from the trace minerals found in certain sea salts, but most Americans do not have serious micronutrient deficiencies so it is unlikely that the vanishingly small quantities of, let's say, selenium, found in a particular brand of sea salt would have a serious positive impact on your health. It sounds like you are mindful of your health and watch your diet, so you probably have less to worry about than the average American. Interestingly, since sea salt is not usually fortified with iodide, you may be actually be missing out on some extra nutrition. "Organic" in this context refers to how food is handled and processed, so one could just as easily make organic table salt as any other type of salt. Call me cynical, but my hunch is that many organic food producers use—and advertise their usage of—sea salt to capitalize on the assumption their customers make that sea salt is somehow more natural and therefore better than salt which is mined from rocks on dry ground. Some cooks to prefer sea salt or Kosher salt to regular table salt, but this is because of the size of the salt grains and not because of any health or chemical differences. It all dissolves rapidly in your mouth and stomach and behaves the same way in your body.

If you have your own answer to the question Why do chefs use salt out of a bowl instead of a shaker on recipe videos?, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.