Originally Answered: Tips on losing weight and eating healthier?
Here are some healthy tips, to help you lose weight and keep it off :)
- Drink plenty of water. Green tea. Water + lemon (cleansing, great for your digestive system, skin)
- Eat natural foods, organics are great.
- Aim to start your day out with a fiber & protein packed breakfast for energy - for example oatmeal with fresh berries & skim milk or oatmeal with a tbsp of almond or peanut butter, cinnamon & vanilla almond milk.
- Eat smaller portions, more often. Rather than larger portions less often.
- For exercise, you could try a daily brisk walk (good to burn fat/keep in shape), yoga or pilates, a work out dvd, swimming, etc. Stay active daily. Yoga/pilates can definitely help you tone your tummy up, along with the crunches you do. Running is good to.
- Avoid: soda, diet soda or any diet drinks, artificial colors or sweeteners, white flour, too much sugar, overly processed foods, fast food.
- To help you stay full, go for foods rich in fiber & protein (as well lots of fruits/vegetables).
Here are some quick, easy, healthy food ideas:
- Healthy cereal (like Kashi or Nature's Path organic, for example muesli) with skim milk, non-dairy milk like soy, almond or rice milk or greek or regular yogurt. You can top with fresh berries/fruit.
- Oatmeal - McCann makes great healthy instant Irish oatmeal, takes a few minutes to prepare.
Topping ideas: almond butter or peanut butter, nuts, fresh berries/fruit, raisins, dried fruit like cherries/cranberries/blueberries, cinnamon, skim milk or non-dairy milk, nonfat greek yogurt, jam, honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, etc.
* Non-dairy milk like - almond, soy or rice milk or nonfat yogurt.
- Plain or flavored greek yogurt with fresh berries. Add some organic granola/muesli or nuts for crunch.
Lunch & Dinner:
(On whole grain bread like multigrain, ezekiel, rye, whole wheat pita, whole grain tortilla, etc.)
- Pesto, tomato, baby spinach & mozzarella melt
- Tuna or Egg salad
- Almond or Peanut butter & jam
- Cheese & tomato melt
- Egg & cheese - or egg white/spinach & cheese
- Chickpea wrap (with things like grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mixed baby greens, salad dressing, etc.)
- Black bean wrap with salsa & some cheese in a whole grain tortilla
- Hummus, lettuce, grated carrot, sliced cherry tomatoes in a whole wheat pita half
~ Salad: mixed baby greens, romaine or baby romaine lettuce with things like cherry tomatoes/tomato, cucumber, low-fat salad dressing, dried cranberries, goat/feta crumbles, walnut crumbles, almond slithers, etc
- For protein:
- Chickpeas (or mixed beans) - like 1/2 cup
- Grilled cubes of tofu
- Strips of grilled tempeh
- Sliced hard boiled eggs
~ Vegetables stir fried in a little bit of olive oil with either black beans or tofu or tempeh on brown/wild rice.
~ Veggie burger with brown/wild rice or sweet potato or quinoa with veggies or salad.
~ Omelet with baby spinach & cheese, toast, salad, etc
- You can also try using just egg whites sometimes
~ 2 hard boiled eggs with cottage cheese & toast, side salad or veggies
~ Salmon, sweet potato (or regular potatoes) made with olive oil/salt/pepper or wild/brown rice or quinoa with steamed veggies or salad
~ Whole grain pasta + things like pesto or tomato sauce, goat cheese or any cheese, baby spinach, veggies..
~ Veggies & hummus
~ Greek yogurt or regular yogurt
~ Berries/Fruit & nonfat yogurt or greek yogurt - add healthy cereal if you'd like
~ Apple slices dipped in almond butter or peanut butter
~ Homemade trail mix - nuts, seeds, dried fruit like cherries/blueberries/cranberries, dark chocolate bits or dark chocolate chips.
~ Whole grain crackers with cheese / hummus
~ Frozen grapes, frozen banana slices
~ Nuts, seeds, or a bit of dried fruit like mango strips, dried blueberries or dried cranberries, etc.
~ Fat free all natural popcorn, sweet potato chips..
~ Healthy cereal with skim milk or non-dairy milk like almond, soy or rice milk - top with berries/fruit if you'd like
~ Small whole grain tortilla with a tbsp of almond or peanut butter & a tbsp of jam - add a small banana if you'd like.
~ Small whole wheat pita with hummus, veggies
~ Plain greek yogurt with berries/fruit - add a drizzle of honey, agave nectar or jam for sweetness
~ Kashi granola bar, Kind fruit & nut bar, Lara bar
~ Whole grain toasted waffle with toppings like - light cream cheese, jam, honey, berries/fruit, agave nectar, nonfat yogurt, etc.
~ Fruit salad
~ Cottage cheese + fruit
Website with helpful information, recipes:
I hope this helps you :)